Sections

2019-05-05

A Futuristic Pigpen Font that Hates All the Dyslectic People


Final version right here, history below.


Unicode: ᐱ ᗱ ᑕ ᑐ ᗴ 𑪾 ᑲ 𑪿 | ᒧ ᐸ ᒪ ᗰ ᑎ 〇 ᑭ ᑫ ᒥ 𑪽 ᒣ ᑌ ᐯ ᗯ ᑯ ᐳ 𑪼
Alt: Λ⋀ 3∋Ⳍ C⊂ Ͻ⊃ Ԑદ∈ℇ N ᘏᖚ6ⳒϬ Ͷ ᑊ| L ന റ⋂ ᐤO◯ ᘓᖘ୧ ᘎᖗ9Ⳋ୨ Γ S U⋃ V⋁ ധѠ ᘐᖙმ ZϨ౭
Moon Proposal (B,H,W not quite): 1bea0 1bee3! 1bea2 1bea3 1bec7 1bead 1bea1 1beb2! 1bea8 1beb8 1beaa 1beab 1bec8 1beb6 1beae 1bea5 1bea6 1bea4 1beba 1beac 1beb4 1beb5 1becc! 1bea9 1beb7 1beb9 
 
(updated for Unicode 14 which brings UCAS closer to being suitable, except ᑊ and ᐤ which are too small, so CJK instead, as ASCII is narrow)

Sed to: y/abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ/ᐱᗱᑕᑐᗴ𑪾ᑲ𑪿|ᒧᐸᒪᗰᑎ〇ᑭᑫᒥ𑪽ᒣᑌᐯᗯᑯᐳ𑪼ᐱᗱᑕᑐᗴ𑪾ᑲ𑪿|ᒧᐸᒪᗰᑎ〇ᑭᑫᒥ𑪽ᒣᑌᐯᗯᑯᐳ𑪼/
Sed from: y/ᐱᗱᑕᑐᗴ𑪾ᑲ𑪿|ᒧᐸᒪᗰᑎ〇ᑭᑫᒥ𑪽ᒣᑌᐯᗯᑯᐳ𑪼/abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz/



Originally I've thought about some futuristic simplification of Latin as writing the lowercase characters in my exercise book takes too long for some information-dense classes. I came with a prototype in form of a pixel art ASCII table with 5*5 font with spacing of 1 pixel. This MK-I prototype doesn't quite look like the modern one.


Then I noticed many letters were just different rotations of each other so I made it based on some sort of flowers, squares, circles, crosses, and Hizb marks. Later stenography-like and hangeul-like scripts were developed, based on these shapes. The MK-II version looks as follows:



After a while, I noticed many computer demos scrollers use the shape of P and Q for R and T, so I decided those need to be changed. Also some more shapes were merged. The stenography edition didn't update as it's mind-dazzling to write spirals in the correct direction each time. And I'm not even dysgraphic, this MK-III is just cruel even for normies.

(see the top of this post)

Later I realized it looks way too much like pigpen cipher and Moon script for the blind. So I made a version where the pig presence indicates a related letter. That would be MK-IV. Old P and Q fit better this time regarding voicing pairs. Thus, the development has concluded.

 J | U | L   \_  V  _/   Z | W | R   \_  F  _/   Ž | ÚŮ| Ř   \_     _/
---+---+---    \_ _/    ---+---+---    \_ _/    ---+---+---    \_ _/
 D | O | C   Y  _X_  K   T | X | S   I  _X_  G   ĎŤ| Ó | ČŠ  ÝÍ _X_ 
---+---+---   _/   \_   ---+---+---   _/   \_   ---+---+---   _/   \_
 Q | N | P   /   A   \   H | M | B   /   E   \   Ȟ | Ň |     /  ÁÉĚ  \

                             o           o          o o         o o

Even later (2024), I had the idea that I could make a more mnemonic Braille based on MK-IV, while I wait for Moon to be added to Unicode to represent MK-III a bit better. So there's both MK-IVB for my letter asignment and PigBraille for the popular sequential assignment. Some shapes chosen shapes are a bit cursive to make do with the fact that the grid is only 2 wide. 64-26=38 free. Additional dot spaces use the hidden 4th row. There may be segmented octants encoded later, but for now we have segmented sextants, or MK-IVS.

Substitution table against the most popular pigpen arrangement for fonts:

MK-IV:  A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Common: V R F D Z W Y P X A U C Q H E I G L O M B S K N T J
MK-IVB: ⠚  ⠯ ⠽ ⠞ ⠳ ⠺  ⠗ ⠜ ⠪ ⠣ ⠛ ⠒ ⠎ ⠱ ⠧ ⠻ ⠷ ⠶ ⠲  ⠿ ⠕ ⠼
MK-IVS: 𜹞 𜹧 𜺇 𜺋 𜹮 𜹽 𜹾 𜹻 𜹭 𜹪 𜹶 𜹵 𜹯 𜹟 𜹜 𜹦 𜹹 𜺅 𜹿 𜺍 𜺌 𜹼 𜺎 𜺏 𜹩 𜺊

Common: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
MK-IV:  J U L D O C Q N P Z W R T X S H M B V Y K A F I G E
PigBra:
PigBS6: 𜹪 𜺌 𜹵 𜺋 𜹜 𜺇 𜹹 𜹟 𜹦 𜺊 𜺎 𜺅 𜺍 𜺏 𜹿 𜹻 𜹯 𜹧 𜹛 𜹩 𜹶 𜹞 𜹽 𜹭 𜹾 𜹮

Sed to: y/abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ/⠯⠽⠞⠳⠺⠗⠜⠪⠣⠛⠒⠎⠱⠧⠻⠷⠶⠲⠿⠕⠼𜹞𜹧𜺇𜺋𜹮𜹽𜹾𜹻𜹭𜹪𜹶𜹵𜹯𜹟𜹜𜹦𜹹𜺅𜹿𜺍𜺌𜹼𜺎𜺏𜹩𜺊/
Sed from: y/⠯⠽⠞⠳⠺⠗⠜⠪⠣⠛⠒⠎⠱⠧⠻⠷⠶⠲⠿⠕⠼𜹞𜹧𜺇𜺋𜹮𜹽𜹾𜹻𜹭𜹪𜹶𜹵𜹯𜹟𜹜𜹦𜹹𜺅𜹿𜺍𜺌𜹼𜺎𜺏𜹩𜺊/abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ/

Mnemonic: JULy - DOCument - Quantum NanoPhotonics / [Q] NēPoki / New Tape Q-code - 3rd ZimbabWean dollaR - TeXas Star - HuMBle - VYKAa / VerY KAwaii - FIGÉ / FIGurE

In July, I want to print my quantum nanophotonics paper for the 3rd review to my Zimbabwean professor. Texas stars ain't humble, but xe has a very kawaii figure.

𜹦⠚⠯⠪ ⠟⠕ ⠏⠒⠿ ⠾⠗⠷⠹ ⠳⠗⠲⠞ ⠽⠒⠼⠞⠛ ⠣⠗⠱⠶⠒⠧ ⠜⠶⠺⠻. (pack my box)
𜹿⠎⠹⠗⠛⠿ ⠒⠳ ⠏⠣⠚⠯⠪ ⠱⠶⠚⠧⠷⠼, ⠜⠶⠽⠺⠞ ⠟⠕ ⠲⠒⠾! (sphinx)



Any accented letters are made using contraptions, except in MK-IV which provides supplemental 2, 3, and 4 dot spaces. Even German "tsch" for my Czech "č" writes 7SCИ, and that can be done in 1 swing paper, making an interesting signature.

Klingon needs a workaroud. The alphabet mapping is:

a b ch D e gh H I j l m n ng o p q Q r S t tlh u v w y ' \/ /\
A B C  D E G  H I J L M N F  O P K Q R S T Z   U V W Y - ,  .

So NG still resembles N and TLH begins with the shape of T but it bends away.

ro'wIj yItob\/ pIqaD naQ Hoch ngaS mu'tlhegh val/\ (prove my fist)
RO-WIJ YITOB, PIKAD NAQ HOC FAS MU-ZEG VAL.
ᒥ〇-ᗯ|ᒧ ᐳ|ᒣ〇ᗱ, ᑭ|ᐸᐱᑐ ᑎᐱᑫ 𑪿〇ᑕ 𑪾ᐱ𑪽 ᗰᑌ-𑪼ᗴᑲ ᐯᐱᒪ.

tlhIngan DuSaQ cha qal ta wIberghvIpmoH jay/\ (torpedoes record)
ZLIFAN DUSAQ CA KAL TA WIBERGVIPMOH JAY-.
𑪼ᒪ|𑪾ᐱᑎ ᑐᑌ𑪽ᐱᑫ ᑕᐱ ᐸᐱᒪ ᒣᐱ ᗯ|ᗱᗴᒥᑲᐯ|ᑭᗰ〇𑪿 ᒧᐱᐳ-.

qajunpaQHeymo' batlh DuSuvqang charghwI' 'It/\ (depressed conqueror)
KAJUNPAQHEYMO- BAZ DUSUVKAF CARGWI- -IT.
ᐸᐱᒧᑌᑎᑭᐱᑫ𑪿ᗴᐳᗰ〇- ᗱᐱ𑪼 ᑐᑌ𑪽ᑌᐯᐸᐱ𑪾 ᑕᐱᒥᑲᗯ|- -|ᒣ.

Esperanto writes with the X-system, but UX writes as W, because small U above big U makes double U.

Ehxosxangxo ciujxawde. Preskaw fresxa cxehxo mandagxo
ᗴ𑪿ᑯ〇𑪽ᑯᐱᑎᑲᑯ〇 ᑕ|ᑌᒧᑯᐱᗯᑐᗴ. ᑭᒥᗴ𑪽ᐸᐱᗯ 𑪾ᒥᗴ𑪽ᑯᐱ ᑕᑯᗴ𑪿ᑯ〇 ᗰᐱᑎᑐᐱᑲᑯ〇

Czech writes with contraptions as devised by me a few years ago. When using the stenography method, stronger pressure puts a caron over consonants and acute on vowels. Ě is bypassed by caroning the previous consonant. CH can be written as Q in Polish-Finnish mode or pressured H in Klingon-stenography mode. The Polish-Finnish mode can also be written in Korean mode, which imitates Hangul.

neHT jiZ hRISnE saxofony DAblU rozezvuCI sIN UDesnYmi tOny tanga, waltzu a quickstepu.

pRIliS ZluTouCkY kUN UPel DAbelskE Ody.

Neqtj jizs hrzsiisznee saxofony djaabluu rozezvuczii siinj uudjesnyymi toony tanga, waltzu a quickstepu.

Przsiilisz zslutjouczkyy kuunj uupjel djaabelskee oody.

ᑎᗴᑫᒣᒧ ᒧ|𑪼𑪽 𑪿ᒥ𑪼𑪽||𑪽𑪼ᑎᗴᗴ 𑪽ᐱᑯ〇𑪾〇ᑎᐳ ᑐᒧᐱᐱᗱᒪᑌᑌ ᒥ〇𑪼ᗴ𑪼ᐯᑌᑕ𑪼|| 𑪽||ᑎᒧ ᑌᑌᑐᒧᗴ𑪽ᑎᐳᐳᗰ| ᒣ〇〇ᑎᐳ ᒣᐱᑎᑲᐱ, ᗯᐱᒪᒣ𑪼ᑌ ᐱ ᑫᑌ|ᑕᐸ𑪽ᒣᗴᑭᑌ.

ᑭᒥ𑪼𑪽||ᒪ|𑪽𑪼 𑪼𑪽ᒪᑌᒣᒧ〇ᑌᑕ𑪼ᐸᐳᐳ ᐸᑌᑌᑎᒧ ᑌᑌᑭᒧᗴᒪ ᑐᒧᐱᐱᗱᗴᒪ𑪽ᐸᗴᗴ 〇〇ᑐᐳ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barely anyone comments, so I don't moderate. Free advertising, I guess.